7.26.2009

the ten things I need for fall (high and low)

It can be painful to start thinking about fall in the middle of summer, but fashion helps to ease that pain. For this fall, I'm looking forward to neutral colours, androgynous pieces, and a lot of mixing of textures.

1. A menswear-inspired button-up:


This is called the "Easy Shirt" with good reason. Boy by Band of Outsiders, $302.00 at La Garçonne.


A decent alternative for $24.50 at Old Navy. For this kind of thing, though, try thrift stores; places like Goodwill and Salvation Army have tons of nicely worn-in men's shirts or not-too-fitted women's shirts for under $10.


2. Leather (or leather-like) pants:


A.L.C. for $795 at (once again) La Garconne. These are lovely, but I think it's too much to lay out for an item that probably won't have many seasons' staying power.


These are the ones I have! 34.50 GBP from Only Jeans, they're 100% synthetic and way cooler than the standard latex leggings - if I may say so myself.


3. Medium wash jeans:


Acne Jeans, $349 at Oak NYC (www.oaknyc.com).


Old Navy's jeans are always too short for me, but at $25 I could afford to shorten my legs.


4. Bitchin' outerwear (this is the technical term):


Harmon funnel neck parka, $486 at Oak NYC.

You know something? Cheap outerwear is depressing. Anything I can find online, anyway. I'll probably get something at Zara in a couple weeks, and will report back then.


5. Silk t-shirt:


Clu silk t-shirt for $212 from La Garçonne.


$48, BDG at Urban Outfitters. I was really hoping to find something in a nude silk, but this is such a steal that I think I'll be getting it - probably in white.


6. A circle scarf:


DKNY lambswool circle scarf for $75 at Net-à-Porter.


American Apparel's $51 sheer version isn't drastically cheaper - but it is pretty cool. I have the opaque black version, and have worn it as a multi-circled scarf, a shawl and a sort of "capelet." It's pretty sweet.


7. After I went through my long necklace phase, I went through a lengthy no-necklace phase. Now I think I'd like a shorter one for AW09 that really makes a statement:


This Delfina Delletrez one certainly fits the bill - she is a genius. $975 at Opening Ceremony.


Bearing in mind that things from Urban Outfitters tend to fall apart, for $38 this necklace is a pretty great deal.


8. A short, lace-up boot:


I'd actually almost consider these Bottega Veneta boots a worthy investment at $890 via Net-à-Porter. "Almost" because I'm too cheap to imagine spending that much on anything (that isn't Rick Owens).


Or for a more androgynous take, these are $117 from Oak NYC's a.ok section. Sick.


9. A practical, unassuming leather bag:


Martin Margiela's mens bag would be perfect for me this fall - but at $985 (via Aloha Rag) that is so not going to happen.


A surprisingly nice offering from the Gap for $158 (in brown or gray). Sadly, I'm looking for black.


10. A lingerie-esque slip dress to layer in all kinds of ways:


Kiki de Montparnasse's chiffon slip is very extravagantly priced at $395. But it's also extravagantly luxe, so....


This Organic Bias slip from La Garçonne is only a steal comparatively speaking at $120. However, it is quite lovely, and has the advantage of being a little more PG than the KDM slip. If you consider that an advantage.


This post was quite an endeavour for me! I should probably split it up and post it in installments but I would definitely forget.


No comments:

Followers