7.26.2009

gendered


Dress from eruca.jp, Missoni bag, Stella McCartney boots, Midori Ikeda brooch (shown as necklace)


Feminism is something that means a lot to me - and I don't say that about many things. The realization that I was a feminist, had in fact always been one, was one of the most life-changing things that has happened to me.

But fashion turns me into a hypocrite. I know a love of clothes is not necessarily at odds with feminism, but the fashion industry's obsessions with sex, beauty and body-size are full of pitfalls for a young woman trying to live up to some daunting ideals. There are times - like while discussing the relative merits of models by reducing them to body parts and facial features - when I realize that I can't at all reconcile what I purportedly think with what I say or do.

I sometimes have this image of myself as one big LOLcat, captioned "FEMINISM: UR DOING IT WRONG." While I can't say this is something I really beat myself up about, it is an occasional worry of mine. Is this level of hypocrisy normal?

Edited to add an observation that may have just answered my own question: I wasn't meaning to be ironic when I made the above outfit, which combines vegan boots with a bag that is clearly fur - and I'm a vegetarian.


No comments:

Followers