10.03.2009

it's been a while

I've been gone a while. Since my last post I've been in a few different countries, had a few adventures, survived the flu, started a new school year in Scotland, and kind of become disenchanted with fashion. I mean, not entirely. Personal style will always be of utmost interest to me - how can you learn more about people than through the way they dress themselves? - but what's current, what's new, what's "in", what's on the runway... I can't quite bring myself to care at the moment. It's probably in part having been isolated from internet and blogs for a while, and then being inundated with photos from various fashion weeks, but it's definitely also being in the UK that's done it. I love the Brits, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they should be allowed such ready access to Topshop. They abuse the privilege. There was a time when I loved studs, exposed zippers, leather jackets, bandage skirts, ripped denim, ankle boots, shoulder pads, sequins, "boyfriend" blazers, chains... this was before spending time in Glasgow and Edinburgh. TREND OVERLOAD. And don't even get me started on how much makeup girls wear here, or how much they dye their hair.

It makes me want to go all minimalist and antifashion and spend all my time in jeans and sweaters and riding boots. I basically have, actually. Dark denim, long-sleeved t-shirts, thin wool or cashmere pullovers, flat black or brown leather knee-high boots, and pearl studs have become my uniform of choice. Add plain leather tote bag, bracelet-sleeved tweed coat and Hunter Wellingtons and you have everything I've been wearing lately. I try to keep it more APC than J. Crew, but how preppy I look is still occasionally a worry - at least I don't look trendy, though.

The one thing I am coveting is a pair of wedge ankle boots, or flat over-the-knee boots. Just a bit trendy, but workable in my newly minimalist wardrobe. And the only thing I feel like spending money on at the moment is lingerie and skin care - good investments, both.


an anti-fashion moment


Minimalism can only get you so far, though. I know there will come a day when I wake up in the morning and think "if I don't wear something with feathers and sequins on it today, life will just not be worth living."

Until then, it's sweaters and jeans for me - can I still call myself a "fashionista"?

Yours,

Gentian

P.S. I have never called myself a fashionista, nor will I ever. Promise.


No comments:

Followers